The Fountain View House is composed of two stories of ancient stone for the couple looking for a truly Provencal experience combining comfort, convenience, and tradition.
- Two-story, ancient stone house perched in the hilltop village of Menerbes
- King-sized bed in the bedroom
- Beautifully warm living room complete with stone walls, beamed ceilings, and a beautiful fireplace
- Gorgeous views of the village, vineyards, and Luberon hills
- A great central base for exploring Provence or visiting Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, St. Remy-de-Provence, and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
The Fountain View House is located in the heart of Provence, in the “perched” or hilltop village of Menerbes. This village, which Peter Mayle wrote about in “A Year in Provence,” is an exceptionally authentic village in the heart of the Luberon with its hills, vineyards, fruit trees, and lavender fields.
Menerbes is a storied village, famous for its beautiful stone architecture long before Peter Mayle wrote “A Year in Provence.” Picasso lived in Menerbes for a period after World War II and bought a large house for his lover Dora Marr which is now being turned into a museum. This village became a hotbed of Protestantism in the 17th century and withstood a siege for seven years until treachery opened the gates to Louis XIV’s troops.
A village in France is for relaxing, savoring the culture and the food, and peace and quiet. The Fountain View House will give you the warm welcome to start your exploration of Provence.
The Fountain View House layout permits a couple, small family or group to enjoy renting a house in the heart of one of Provence’s most beautiful villages without having to take on a large 3-5 bedroom farmhouse which is so common in the area. Many families or two couples traveling together, however, choose to take the entire joined house so they may fully enjoy village life.
The Fountain View House is composed of two stories and ancient Provencal stone. Parts of the house date back at least 500 years if not more, but it has been lovingly renovated and modernized. (One of the village’s ancient bee-hive-shaped ovens is incorporated in the building, though it is not available for visits.)
- The Fountain View House is situated opposite the village Winter Church and offers views of its ancient façade as well as a southern view over the vineyards and hills of the Luberon massif.
- On the ground floor guests will find the warm welcome of a living/dining room with stone walls, beamed ceilings, and a beautiful fireplace.
- A separate modern kitchen provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy Provencal fruits and vegetables while looking out onto a typical Provencal fountain and the hills beyond. The kitchen includes a modern oven, stovetop, refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher.
- On the second floor, there’s a large bedroom with windows that overlook the southern hills, and a small second bedroom/office. There’s a lovely bathroom with bathtub, heated towel rack, etc. to provide all of the comforts you need to enjoy your stay in a typical French village.
- The bedroom features a king-sized bed with a separate daybed for relaxing.
- The living room furnishings include a lit-gigogne, the French answer to the sleeper sofa. The lit-gigogne turns into a single bed with another single bed underneath that can be pulled out in trundle fashion and then raised to bed height.
- The village has two bakeries, a butcher, pharmacy, a grocery, two cafes, and from two to five restaurants depending on the season. This commercial life allows you to enjoy the rhythm and delights of French village life.
- The Fountain View House adjoins the High View House via a stairway and the two houses can be rented together for a larger group or for two couples who want to share a memorable trip to Provence.
- Weekly cleaning
- All linens
- Telephone service
- Wireless high-speed Internet access
- Hair dryer in bathroom
- Iron and ironing board
- Parking available
Conveniently Located Near:
- The central location of Menerbes allows easy exploration of Provence by car, bicycle, foot or even horseback.
- Aix-en-Provence is less than an hour away, as is Marseilles airport.
- Avignon, the Palace of the Popes, and the TGV station are less than 40 minutes away.
- St. Remy-de-Provence is about 30 minutes away.
- Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, the center of antique wheeling and dealing, is only fifteen minutes away.
Discounts are available for stays of more than two weeks. Ask us about special rates for add-on nights!
|Jul 3 – Sep 11||Sep 12 – Oct 30|
|Oct 31 – Nov 20||Nov 21 – Dec 4|
|Dec 5 – Dec 18||Dec 19 – Jan 8|
|Jan 9 – Mar 5||Mar 6 – Jun 4|
|Jun 5 – Jul 2|